Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tempe Leadman Triathlon 2014 Race Report by Dan Mikkelson

Lifetime Leadman 125 Race Report – April 2014 Dan Mikkelson

Ironman Cabo, March 2013. That was the last race I competed in until Leadman 125. I was nervous and excited at the same time. My training had been consistent since tightening the belt in January, and I was anticipating my results before the race even started. After proudly crossing the finish line, it didn’t take long for me to realize two main lessons: 1. Know the course; 2. Consider obligations in the coming weeks prior to the race.

Pre-Race
The day before Leadman 125 was nothing out of the ordinary with the luck I have pre-race. Last minute bike issues derailed my scheduled day of visiting the course and spending the rest of the day allowing my body to prepare for the next morning. Fortunately I’ve been perfecting my grilling skills, so that not only resulted in impressing my guests/race fans, but also a satisfactory pre-race meal of choice consisting of grilled chicken, veggies, and a couple brews. When 9pm rolled around, it was time to turn in as my fans settled into an exciting evening of watching Titanic.  

Race Morning
A 4am wake-up call prompted a hearty breakfast of two English muffins with peanut butter, GU Chomps, and some OJ. I knew the heat of the pending summer would rear its ugly head soon, so I worked on a full water bottle as I drove to transition. Stomaching much food race mornings has always been a struggle for me, so I know I’d have to keep it light. A quick shot of GU Roctane 15 minutes before the swim start, a last check of the zipper to make sure I wasn’t mooning the crowd, and I was ready to rock.

Swim
I have spent so much time in the water between competing in high school, college, and now my adult life that I kind of figured I would start up front, sprint the first few hundred yards, and then settle into a comfortable pace. I found myself behind some competitors who were willing to work harder than me by zig-zagging through Tempe Town Lake so I took that as a sign to go at the swim by myself. This worked in my favor as I ended up 4th out of the water, feeling energized by the cheers and ready for the 68 miles ahead.

Bike
A triathlon with a 68 mile bike is unique, especially considering the competitors’ distance options of Sprint, Olympic, or Leadman. With the congestion that occurs on a four loop course with these simultaneous races, I knew I needed to have my nutrition planned, attainable, and easy, so as to not break my focus. I needed to consume as many calories as I could, as early as possible. This allowed me to focus on my wattage and avoiding collisions. My coach and I set out at a goal effort of 240 watts which, admittedly, was difficult to maintain due to my overzealous attitude the first couple laps. The first 34 miles averaged 248 watts, but the power slowly went down over miles 35-68, and I ended up with a total effort of 242 watts which was right about where I needed to be.

Run
As I mentioned earlier, I quickly learned a few lessons after crossing the finish line. I was not well-versed on the run course, and I paid for that lack of preparation. I knew it was a trail run, but I imagined a trail mirroring that of the gravel paths along the canal. My original plan was to run the first two miles at a 7 minute pace and drop my speed from there. The first mile around Tempe Town Lake was right on track, coming in at 6:59. Unfortunately all went downhill at this point, both literally and figuratively. After turning under the 202, I was on a loose gravel trail with a significant vertical incline, and the course continued through the park with constant climbs and descents through, over, and around rocks and gravel. I struggled significantly with this, and actually walked for the first time ever in a race shorter than an Ironman. This was a quickly learned lesson learned: be prepared for the course and actually train on it!

Considering all obstacles both pre and post-race, I was happy to get back out there. I may have not finished with the most favorable results, but like this and every other race, you learn aspects that can be modified to make the next race better. After Leadman 125, I have put in a two weeks of solid training, and am looking forward to racing St. George 70.3 on May 3. Happy Training!


Dan Mikkelson

No comments:

Post a Comment