Monday, April 6, 2015

Ironman 70.3 California RACE REPORT



“4:27am……why am I here? Why am I not in bed, like everyone else, dead to the world?  Why do I live in constant pain, the suffering, the sacrifice? Why?  Because I can. Because pain tells me I’m awake.  Reminds me I’m alive.  Who am I? I am the wrecker of steel.  I am the crusher of mediocrity.  I am the face of destiny.  I am Animal……”


RACE REPORT: 2015 Ironman 70.3 California

     I woke just before the alarm sounded at 3:45am, about three hours before my wave hits the water.  I always like to give myself about 3 full hours to wake, eat breakfast, use the facilities, make my way to transition, and complete whatever warm-up is necessary given the race distance, usually including some type of static and dynamic movements.  I have been here many times before; ready to toe the line with thousands of other athletes, but every race brings with it new goals and new expectations.  So, my nerves keep me alert and prepared for the day that lies ahead.  I raced this course before in 2013 and was prepared to create a new PR.  My training was complete, my nutrition plan and fueling strategy were set, and my race plan was put into place. 

     As I stared across the crowd of eager fans and nervous competitors, I could see mental preparation at work.  I could feel the energy of the transition pulsating with excitement.  I could feel the anticipation of the day slowly surfacing.  No matter how prepared for the race I may think I am, there is always an injection of pounding nerves.  Ultimately, it will either consume your focus, or give you the hunger to physically and mentally exert yourself past your point of comfort!  I like to feed off the nerves as a source of adrenaline!  You must ask yourself; how much are you willing to put your body through in order to reach your goals?  You already know it’s going to hurt, but how much suffering are you willing to endure?
 
The Swim: As I lined up in the corral with my wave, I learned the water temperature was a warm sixty six degrees; definitely warmer than Bartlett.  By the time I jump in the water, it will be warmer than the air temperature outside. 

     My wave is told to enter and swim to the buoy line, so here I go.  The water is perfect!  My wave is small compared to others, and I decide to place myself in the front.  Although my swim may be my weakness, I know I can hold my own just behind the lead pack.  I jumped in and swam to the buoy line.  As I positioned myself to the outside, I keep moving by treading water to keep my shoulders engaged.  As I do with all my races, I turn to my fellow age groupers and wish them good luck!

     The horn sounds, and the race begins!  I spent the first 500 meters settling into my pace.  I noticed almost immediately I had caught up to the last wave that swam off, just a couple minutes ahead.  At this point I am glad I chose the outside of the wave, because the passes were made with ease.

     As I see the lead group leave the harbor and enter no-man’s land, I keep the last of the gray caps in sight; soon I will lose sight of them.  For the next 500 meters, I settle in and prepare for any current that I may experience.  To my surprise, the water stayed relatively calm which gave me the opportunity to conserve my energy.  As I neared the turn-around, I ran into a large group of green caps and orange caps.  I now caught two waves and can see a few men struggling with the distance of the swim.  I continued to pass, not having to dodge too much traffic.

     Once I breached the turn-around, I began to head back into the harbor.  I picked up the speed and settled in for the next 15 minutes.  As I entered the harbor, I saw a sea of multi-colored caps; this is where sighting becomes key.  With little difficulty I reach the turn into the boat ramp and increased my kicking cadence to feed my legs with a little more blood before I stand and run to transition.  Once I sighted the ground, I stood and made my way through the knee-deep water.  I unzipped my wetsuit, detached my Garmin using the quick release, stripped the top down to my waist, and re-attached my Garmin.  I look down and see 32 minutes and some change.....perfect, right on time!

**Swim Time: 32:53**

T1: I ran into T1 shaking my sea legs out.  I continued to pull my wetsuit down preparing for the strip down.  This year the transition was a little longer than expected and we were forced to run to the end of the chute before making a U-turn towards the bike racks.  I began to sight on the landmark I identified earlier for easy spotting of my bike.  After spotting my rack I ran to my bike and stripped the wetsuit.  Race number clipped, sunglasses on, helmet snapped, and I’m off.  My bike shoes are already clipped into the pedals so I make my way to the bike-out.

**T1 Time: 3:29**  

The Bike: I mounted my bike, slipped into my shoes, and began pedaling.  Nothing happens until I exit transition for safety reasons.  As I passed the athletes wildly attempting to make it through the chute in record time, I knew the ride was 56 miles and there will be plenty of time to get situated accordingly.  Once out of the harbor, I quickly strapped my shoes and began pedaling at a high RPM in order to flush even more blood into my legs.  I left the bike geared down and prepared for the little hill that needs cresting before any change in shifting occurs.  Once I crested the hill, I settled in by drinking a little water and grabbing a couple of small pieces of bonk breaker.  I have always been a solid food fan during my races, but today this will be my only consumption of solid food………so I enjoyed it while it lasted!

     The Oceanside bike course is tricky if you aren’t prepared for its false speed.  The first 25 miles of the course take you through the entrance of Camp Pendleton and into the base where you are left with no one but your fellow athletes.  The first 25 miles area deceptively fast as you approach the next part of the course consisting of over 2000 feet of climbing in just 15 short miles.  Each of the climbs are relatively easy if you keep your effort low and conserve your strength.  Too many athletes will mis-read the climbs and waste too much energy trying to crest the top.  The last 15 miles of the course gives you the opportunity to settle back in to a comfortable pace.  The only challenge that occurs in the last of the ride is possible head winds, but nothing you haven’t ridden during monsoon season in PHX!

     In preparation for a fast and hilly ride, I spent weeks training with high gear, low cadence hill repeats on Bell Road and Dynamite Road.  These workouts were designed to increase muscle strength while attempting to maintain a smooth pedal stroke and lower heart rate.  Tuesday’s were designed to increase my comfort in aero position while still learning how to create power through the elevation change.  In conjunction with hill repeats on Tuesday, Thursday’s were spent on Legacy Boulevard, between Hayden Road and Scottsdale Road, repeating one mile TT intervals.  This training was not only designed for increases in speed and effort, but also to tax my heart rate while attempting to maintain a sub-threshold pace, simulated by using a 40K-type effort.  On each of these days, it was important to understand how pace and effort must be steady and consistent through each interval.  You don’t want to start too hard leaving yourself exhausted by the last interval.  My Saturday’s were spent recovering from the week with long aerobic rides.  The idea behind Saturday was to keep my heart rate and effort low.  These rides were designed based on time only; speed and distance were not important.  Riding aerobically after a heavy week of cycling intervals helps the creation of capillaries further assisting in much needed recovery.  Needless to say, these training sessions created a solid base and prepared me both physically and mentally.  
 
     The first 25 miles are flat and fast.  My average MPH maxed out at 22.2, and the weather stayed cool and overcast.  I knew the hills were coming so I kept my effort low and prepared for the work yet to come.  As I reached the first, and worst of the climbs, I could see so many athletes beginning to struggle.  I saw one guy who already chose to dismount and walk……at the base of the hill dude?…………Come on dude………didn’t you train for at least a little climb??

     As I crested the hill, my heart rate spiked for a couple of minutes.  No worries.  I settled back into aero position and continued to spin.  As I neared the first aid station, my bottle of calories is empty; time to refill.  As I passed the aid station, I uncapped my aero bottle and poured in a batch of reserve powder.  I grabbed a water bottle from a volunteer and began to pour the water in order to mix the powder. 

     Unfortunately, the way I chose to do this didn’t work and I lost the water bottle and my aero bottle with calories just outside of transition………shit!  I couldn’t let the bottle go because it had my calories, and I couldn’t go back for more water because I was too far outside of transition and would lose too much time.  I stopped and dismounted in order to pick-up my aero bottle with calories.  I barely got in enough water to mix the powder leaving it too concentrated to drink at one time.  I am limited in water, having only about 10 ounces left in my front hydration system mounted on my aero bars.  I decided to sip my calories and water in order not to consume a concentrated dose of calories.  Next aid station………19.3 miles………shit again!

     The next in the series of climbs comes at mile 38.  This hill is longer and less steep, but again I see athletes beginning to really struggle.  As I crested this hill, the enforced speed limit of 25 mph lay ahead.  As I made my descent behind a long line of riders, I took this time to spin out my legs and prepare them for the last 17 miles, which would include another little climb and possibly head winds.

     The next climb came quickly, and is done before I knew it.  At this point I have run out of water and was still unable to adequately fuel due to having dropped my bottle earlier.  As I came upon the next aid station, I decided to uncap my aero bottle and place the cap in a side pocket of my jersey to avoid the juggling act like before.  No luck; I dropped my aero bottle AGAIN!  What the hell is wrong with me?  I stopped again to retrieve it.  As I slowed my speed to stop and turn, I heard a fellow ONE member say “don’t go back!”.  If it had only water, I would say screw it, but I needed my calories now more than ever.  After getting a hold of everything I reached the aid station, bottle in hand and cap tucked away.

     I grabbed another water bottle from a volunteer and carefully negotiated the pour.  I was able to get all the water in my aero bottle, and toss the empty to the side.  I reached for the cap to my aero bottle……gone!  Double shit!  I looked back to see if it’s near………nothing!  This is getting ridiculous.  I quickly improvised and poured the contents of my aero bottle into my front hydration system, tossing my aero bottle and deciding to never try that again!  

     I settled back into aero and picked up the speed for the last of the ride.  Knowing the last 15 miles are flatter and faster, I began to fuel and prepared my legs for the run.  At this point in the ride, my average speed had dropped to almost 21 mph………time to pick up the pace.  

     The last 15 miles flew by with ease.  Luckily no head winds as I was able to bring my average speed back up to 21.7.  As I neared returned to harbor, I shifted gears and increased my cadence to 100+ in order to flush my legs out.  I came out of the saddle a couple times and stretched my back and hip flexors getting ready for the most important part of the race………the RUN!

Bike Time: 2:34

T2: As I enter T2, I began to unstrap my shoes and loosen my feet.  I heard a volunteer don’t dismount; I still had time to ride.  I entered the chute and again began to dismount thinking the dismount line was close.  Another volunteer told me to wait and continue to ride on through.  Are you kidding me?………I literally rode through the entire chute……this is new!  I looked to the end of T2 and saw athletes still riding………keep riding I guess.

     I finally reached the dismount line and hoped off, shoes still clipped.  Like so many times before, I hopped off and began to run losing no momentum, making for a quick transition.  I again scanned for the landmark near my rack.  As I hit the ground running, my legs felt fresh, considering.  I had about 100 more yards to run to get to my shoes, and my legs felt ready for the grind ahead!

     I reached the rack, ditched the bike and helmet, slipped into my Zoot running shoes, grabbed my signature ONE Elite Bondi Band, and was off once again!

T2 Time: 3:09

The Run: The third leg of this race is all about execution.  The run will always be the most important the race, and I have yet to master this discipline.  One thing I have learned to do is be patient.  So many times I will hear, ‘I fell apart on the run’, ‘I need to run more in training’, or ‘I just didn’t have it in me’.  With so many thinking the run is their weakness, they fail to examine their bike strength.  Did you ride too hard?  Did you train enough ON the bike?  I felt ready to run from the moment I hopped off………and now it was time to execute!

     My plan: the first four miles are used to settle in and find my running legs, pace – 7:15 per mile.  Miles 4-10, increase the pace and drop my pace to 7:00 per mile.  If it’s there, the last 3 miles are designed to hurt. I already know the last 3 miles are the worst, and I’ve been there before.  Give it all and don’t look back, pace – 6:45 or faster!  The name of the game; NEGATIVE SPLIT.

     The Oceanside run course is flat with a few little pier climbs and a little uphill grind through the beach front neighborhood.  The majority of the course runs parallel to the coast of the Pacific Ocean with amazing views.  The run course consists of two loops, the first loop being longer than the second.

     In preparation for the run, my training sessions during the week consisted of track work, hill intervals, and long aerobic distance runs.  Wednesday’s were track days.  Each of these workouts consisted of threshold intervals designed to teach my body to maintain a high heart rate while keeping a consistent pace.  Friday’s I spent running hill repeats using Bell Hill.  These training sessions were designed for specific strength output over elevation change.  The first few months, the intervals were 60 seconds.  During the last two months leading up to the race, the hill intervals decreased as the time increased to 90 seconds.  While my heart rate increased during each interval, the main purposes of these sessions were built on strength, not intensity.  Similar to hill repeats on the bike, I was forced to focus on good running form (forward lean, stride length, and cadence) while utilizing the resistance of the hill.  Sunday’s were spent on Pinnacle Peak Mountain.  Starting from the trailhead, my runs consisted of 6-10 miles of road with several elevation changes, ultimately ending with a trail run over the back side of Pinnacle Peak Trail.  This session was used for recovery, maintaining a low heart rate over an extended period of time.  The final two miles of the run always ended on the trail which prepared me for the last miles of the run, which will always be the hardest part of the day.  I learned to run on fatigued and tired legs for an additional two miles utilizing the aggressive grade of the trail.

     Knowing I am possibly under fueled for the intensity of the last few miles of the run, I immediately began taking on coke and water at the aid station right out of T2.  At this point in the race, the simplest sugar is the only option.  What’s simpler than the sweet taste of COKE!

     The first 4 miles go smoothly.  I maintained an average pace of 7:18.  As the weather began to warm the sun finally breaks through onto Pacific Street.  Once I reached the turn around, I began to pick up my speed.  By mile 6, my average pace has dropped to 7:08……right on pace! 
 
     As I made my way back to the harbor for the turnaround for the second loop, my legs started to feel heavy.  I knew this feeling well and prepared to run on fatigued and tired legs.  I was still able to hold an average pace of 7:08, but now I had to bring that number down in the next few miles to finish strong.

     Mile 9 approached and my legs are started to give a little.  I lost my average pace as I saw it drop to 7:10 and 7:11.  At this point in the race, I knew my mental strength would be tested.  Miles 10 and 11 brought with it the last of the pier climbs and rolling hills.  My legs were trashed!  My overall pace suffered and my average pace jumped to 7:15 and 7:16.  How do I continue when every muscle in my body is screaming STOP! 

     I made the final turn onto the boardwalk.  I saw the pier in the distance and knew the finish line was less than a mile away.  My legs were NOT turning over!  I tried to focus on running form and forward lean as I almost fell forward from fatigue.  My body began to tingle and I started seeing stars.  I’m bonking, but my legs will not give in……I refused to stop moving!  I won’t not stop until I cross the finish line.  I lost track of time, pace, and distance.  I looked ahead and zero in on the pier.  I heard the roar from the finish chute.  I saw the finish line arch and a faint picture of the clock.  

     As I entered the finish chute, there were no other athletes around.  The screams from the ONE tent filled my head and the roar from the crowd sent a burst of adrenaline through my body.  Just as I breached the finish line I looked up and made the #1 with both my hands, sticking my tongue out………my infamous finish line pose!  

**Finish Time: 4:50:15**
*21st in Age Group and 142nd Overall*

    


     In 2013 I raced Oceanside and finished in 5:03.  Today, I shaved over 13 minutes off my time.  I was faster in the swim by a couple minutes, I was faster on the bike by over 6 minutes, and faster in the run by over 9 minutes!  At least I am moving in the right direction!

     As I look back at the race, I could have not asked for a better day.  With the heat wave that hit San Diego in the days leading up to the race, all of us lucked out and got a nice cool day.  The race Gods must have been watching!

     With every race, you must walk away learning something about yourself and about the way you race.  No race goes to plan, and today was no different for me.  I decided to re-allocate my bottle set-up so my calories would not be compromised and it wouldn’t appear as if a circus clown was riding a TT bike through transition.  I suffered on the run possibly due to a nutrition deficit on the bike, and we all know you can’t make that up once you hit the pavement!  I gave myself a goal window of 4:35-4:45, and was damn close!  I could say to you, “if hadn’t dropped my bottle TWICE on the bike I would have shaved off 2-3 minutes” or “if I was fueled properly for the last 3 miles of the run, I would have ran a new PR for the half”. 

     No matter what I say, it’s time to take what I have learned and hit the drawing board.  The race season is upon us and I have only tapped my full potential for 2015.  My road to the 2015 70.3 World Championship in Australia will not be easy, and I don’t want it to be.  What kind of athlete would I be if it was handed to me because I naturally raced this sport with ease?  Years ago I entered this sport and quickly learned I must earn my keep and today was no different.  Where failure is evident, success is inevitable!

     I would like to thank those that trained with me, coached me, and sat on the side lines as I raced.  You were out there with me every mile of my 70.3 adventure!  Thank you to my mother, Christie, and step-father, Keith, for making the trek to California to spectate and cheer me on!  Thank you to John Reich, run coach for Phoenix Free Soles, for designing my track workouts.  Thank you to Nick Goodman with Durapulse for pushing me and teaching me to train at a new level.  Thank you to Jozsef Major at Major Tri Coaching for not only guiding my training sessions, but letting me chase you in the water and on the road.  Thank you to Val for waking up with me every day when sleeping in would have been so much sweeter! 
     


    As the first quarter of the year comes to a close, I am ready to rock the rest of 2015!  Next up on the race schedule; Life Time Marquee Triathlon and the Rock Point Triathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment